Friday, October 21, 2011

2 Seam Toddler Pajama Pants

This is another one of those things that I have seen in about a million places around the internet. This is by NO means an original idea, just another tutorial to add to the growing list out there!

Abbey hasn't completely mastered the whole sleeping-under-the-blanket thing yet, so I wanted to make sure that she has some nice snugly pajama pants to help keep her warm. I thought about buying her some, but seriously...fleece jammies are expensive, yo! (yep...that just happened.)
On one of my recent Goodwill trips, I found some great adult sized fleece pajama pants for, like, $3. I remembered those millions of pajama tutorials and thought to myself, "I can totally do that!".
A tip before you start: I HIGHLY recommend using a walking foot for this project. This is actually the second pair I've made, and it was sooo much easier with the walking foot than my regular presser foot. Fleece is thick, and can be tricky to push though. The first pair is fine...if you don't look too closely at the seams!

Here's how I did it:

Fold the original fleece jammies in half, making sure the edges and hems are lined up. Take a pair of jammies that fit well, fold them in half and line them up along the seams. This pair was getting a bit short, so I left some extra length at the top. The piece of elastic at the top is a reminder to leave room for the band.


Cut along the edge of your pattern jammies, making sure to leave enough room for your seam allowance.

Now you have both legs for your jammies!
Disclaimer: Yes, I know that typically pant legs are measured differently from front to back. If these were pants for wearing outside, I would have done things right, but these are jammies...so it's all good!

Now pin your two legs together along the crotch (does anyone else hate that word?) seams, and sew them together. JUST the curved seams, not the legs!

Once you've sewn the curved seams, pin your leg seams together so that you have each pant leg separated. I forgot to take a picture of that step, but I think you'll be OK! I have faith in you!
Sew up one leg, over the crotch (twitch!) seam and back down the other leg.

Now all that's left is to create the waistband. Using your elastic as a guide, fold the top of your pants over, and sew almost all the way around. Make sure you leave room to insert your elastic.

Thread your elastic through the tube and sew it together with a flat seam.

Tuck your elastic in, and stitch up the rest of the waistband.


There you have it...you're done! 2 seams, no hemming...easy peasy! My favorite part of this pair is that the hems on the original pants had some cute detailing, that I probably wouldn't have taken the time to add on my own. Love it!

Don't they look comfy??


This project is linked up at Fingerprints on the Fridge, Tatertots and Jello, and The Girl Creative. Go Check them out!








1 comment:

Like it? Share it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...