Saturday, January 11, 2014

#onelittleword 2014: Goals

Hey there friends!

Did you choose a word for the year? I really like a word rather than a resolution. It allows me to adjust throughout the year if need be, but still keep me focused and on track.

So here it is, my One Little Word for the year:


Yep, goals.

I've never been very good at them. I'm not good at making them, and I'm not very good at following through with them. Sure I can get things done, and I certainly have accomplishments that I am proud of, but I'm talking about the little day-by-day goals that, when you look back on them a year later, have completely changed your life.

I want to get better at those.

So, I'm choosing several areas that I would like to work on. Some will get monthly goals, while some are more long term. Every month I am going to come here and post my goals for the month, and update you on the previous month's progress. Yay,  accountability!

Here are the areas I am looking to improve:

1. Finances
This is definitely a long term goal. We have been working on getting out of debt, but money has been incredibly tight lately so we haven't made much progress. We haven't gone backwards, but we haven't really moved forwards either. We have 2 credit cards and 2 car payments right now, all of which are on schedule to be paid off by the end of the year. I would love to have them paid off sooner! I also want to save up a $1000 emergency fund. I will be starting a new part-time job soon (more on that later!) which will help a lot!

2. Home
I have talked about my housekeeping struggles here before. It's still a struggle. We are moving in a few weeks (just locally, to a new rental) and I am going to use that as an opportunity to create new habits! 

3. Personal
Self-care is important. I've discovered since Owen arrived that I am not particularly good at prioritizing it. When you can't remember the last time you went to the store by yourself, or painted your nails, or took time for your favorite hobby, or...showered...something is off. 

4. Blog
Yep, I have goals for this little space of mine as well. I like it, and if you are reading this, hopefully you like this too. I want to find ways to grow this space, stay true to my voice and my writing, but also use this space to help us meet our other goals. 

So, let's get going! I'm going to post these as tasks, since that's what they are. The tasks I need to do to get me to my goals!

January Tasks:
Finances
Create new "snowball plan" for remaining consumer debt.
     -We took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class a couple years ago, and it is fantastic! His              debt snowball plan is very helpful, and you really do see momentum! 

Home
- Pack! This is a big one, and its going to take most of our time. 
     -Donations to charity
     -Sell any sellables 
     -Unnecessary items packed this week

Personal
- Get in the Word every day! It could be sitting down to study, or jumping on to one of my favorite apps, but    it needs to happen.
- Commit 1 hour a week to doing something fun for me. Ask for help with the kids if I need it!

Blog
- Read 2 books
     - Growing Your Blog While Managing Your Home by Jacinda Vandenburg


Did you choose a word for the year? What is it?
What are your goals?

Be blessed!
Heather

2 comments:

  1. Intentional. I love your blog !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds great. Sometimes I have to set a goal to blog with a decent amount of frequency or else a bunch of time goes by and I share nothing. Part time job will be a great help with the financial goals. Best of luck with this year, Heather. May it be a great one for you!

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Share it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...