Friday, January 20, 2012

Valentine's Day Treat Tray

In case you missed this over at Fancy Little Things...

I've got a super easy project to share with you all today. I love going to thrift stores and finding old things that can have new lives. So when I found some mini wine glasses (do they have an official name??) at the Salvation  Army, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. 

What we're making today:
Isn't it cute?? I've been seeing these all over Pinterest, and have been dying to make one. Most of the ones I've seen are made out of 3 plates, but I liked the idea of putting a bowl on top. Perfect for little chocolate goodies, or conversation hearts, or whatever you want!

What you need:

The 3 layers of your tray
Something to go in between the layers. I used the glasses, candlesticks would work too!
Heavy duty glue: I used E-6000

Note: When buying glass from the thrift store, check for stickers of an unknown age and origin. This little bit of stickum took me FOR.EV.ER to get off!
gah!

Anyway...moving on...

Now all you have to do is line up your layers and get to gluin'!
I have that heart shaped plate in the middle, so I knew that one was going to be a little off kilter. To keep everything lined up, I started out by gluing the glasses onto the bottom plate, and the bottom of the bowl first. Those had centers, so I knew things would line up. Then I sandwiched the heart plate in the middle, made sure everything was ready to go, and then glued! 
That's it...done! See? I told you it was easy!

Some notes about E-6000:
It STINKS! Definitely do this project in a well ventilated area...outside if you can.
It is not an immediate seal, so you can move things around until they're in the right spot...very nice!
It dries clear.
Once it's dry, you can either rub or scrape off any excess on your plates, so no worries about mess ups!

There you have it...your own little treat tray! 
Mine is already full of my favorites...
yum!

I'm linked up! Come play with me!

8 comments:

  1. This is too cute! Perfect for valentine's day! I am having a feature Friday Linky Party and would love for you to join in the fun.

    Come and Link up!

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2012/01/feature-friday-linky-party_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cute - I love it! I have a great cookbook giveaway going on right now if you would like to enter? http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2012/01/rush-hour-recipes-review-and-cookbook.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, this is so fun! I could actually handle making this! Love this creative idea! Thank you so much for linking it up too! I love seeing people's ideas because I do not excel in the creativity department!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    I jumped over from I Heart Naptime and love this. It is just too cute. The mini wine glasses may be cordials. They are small because the alcohol that is put in them is very strong. Here's a trick that I use when I can't get the stinkin' glue off glass. If soap doesn't work and my fingernail doesn't work then I put some oil on the adhesive and work it in. Sometimes I have to do this more than once but it usually works. It doesn't matter what kind of oil; I just grab what I have in the kitchen that's handy. Once the glue is off wash as usual. Try it; it may work for you. Dove's Dark Chocolate is my favorite too!

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute Valentine decor'. Besides my weekly fri-monday linky, I am hosting a Valentine contest, hope you will stop by, there are some great prizes.
    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love looking at these on Pinterest but love your glasses and plates so much more. I host a Tuesday Pinterest Inspiration party and would love for you to link up :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out cute! I really like the bowl on top! Also I like the way you used different sized/shaped plates that allows easy access for each tier.

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Share it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...